Friday, August 6, 2010

Skills

I rarely go in the newsagent these days but last week on a wet day in town I felt drawn to visit my local newsagent. I found this special edition Quilters Companion magazine with dvd. I so wanted to purchase it but struggled as I wondered did I REALLY need a dvd on BEGINNING patchwork as I have been stitching for quite a few years now. I bite the bullet and bought it. Hehehe I was tempted to tell the girl at the counter that I WASN'T a beginner but didn't.
It is FANTASTIC!
I can't begin to tell you how much I enjoyed this dvd; and how much I will get out of it over time.
Beginner is such an inappropriate name for this, something like Skill Builder would be more suitable. The dvd went through basic things like cutters, boards, fabrics, cutting; and things like Y seams, on the point, setting triangles, half square triangles, curved piecing, foundation piecing, machine applique, english paper piecing, partial seams and specialty rulers.
The accompanying magazine has 12 projects that build in difficulty following the dvd. The projects are all designed by different Australian designers and the dvd is presented by Michelle Marvig and Claire Mooney.
It was well worth purchasing and made a cold afternoon lovely, snuggling up on the lounge to watch it.

This is my block keeper that was made for me earlier in the year by Lynda in Wonderland in a swap. I wanted to share how full it is getting!
The quilt blocks I have in here are; Gardeners Journal, Little Macca's Farm, Friends for Christmas, Harvest Home Sampler; and Friends in Stitching BOM. Love it!

Here is block A for my Gardeners Journal quilt, finally! Now I have three blocks done and am only one behind now.

This stitchery slowed me down, I had the table and the tree to go but could not get motivated to pick it up to finish it *grin* all done now!


15 comments:

Janice said...

I think I will be going shopping at lunch time.

Lynn said...

Cute blocks for your Gardeners Journal. I love the block keeper from your swap, plus I'm impressed with how filled it is!

Cubby House Crafts said...

Thankyou Bec...will have to visit the newsagent!
Lovely work on the GJ!
Lisa ʚϊɞ

Anonymous said...

Looks like you've got lots of great projects on the go!! (Thanks for the parcel!! Looks great!!)

Raewyn said...

Your Gardener's Journal stitching is beautiful; and what a good feeling to have the block keeper getting fuller and fuller! I get the QC mag on subscription but we seem to be a month or so behind here in NZ but they often have DVDs with them so quite good value I reckon!

Nicky said...

Your GJ block is beautiful, and that is a beautiful(and filling fast) block keeper! I really love the colours you are using for AGJ. Hopefully I can catch that edition of Quilters Comp. over here in the next month or two.

Tammy said...

Oh I love that simple little scene of the garden shed, Bec!

Lynda said...

Hi Bec - I went out and bought 3 copies of the magazine (one for me and two for genuine "beginner" patchworker friends at work) - it's excellent. Still have to watch the dvd. Love all of your blocks.

Kylie said...

I went and purchased that mag and DVD the other day. Have not had a chance to watch the DVD yet. Your GJ blocks look great and I love yoru block keeper. xxxx

Kris Meares - Tag Along Teddies said...

Hey Bec! WOW! Your block keeper sure is filling up ... maybe you need another one! Tee! Hee! Hee! You're one block ahead of me in the Gardeners Journal stitching ... I have the stitcheries for two more blocks stitched, just have to find time somewhere to piece the blocks. SIGH! So many projects, so many fabrics and so little time and play money! :0) Have a fab stitchy week! Bear Hugs! KRIS

Myra said...

Great block keeper Bec, and your blocks are looking great! 8-)

Chookyblue...... said...

I got the mag and DVD too....working on a quilt from it already.........the mags is great but I haven't put the DVD on yet......watched the other

Cubby House Crafts said...

Thanks Bec! Found a copy down the coast at newagency...will check it out when no kids and hubby are about!
Lisa ʚϊɞ

hazel c UK said...

Hi I have only just come across your block and was interested to see you are doing the garden journal quilt. Yours is looking lovely I finished mine a couple of months ago but was not doing it with anyone else. I really enjoyed doing it, it was my first attempt at stitchery.

Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Thank you for sharing.
Hazel (UK)

Bec - Farmers Wife said...

Love your quilt so far and looove the colours you have choosen. I'll keep checking your blog as I feel we have heaps in common, home-schooling, rural area, name hehehe etc. Keep the pics coming.