Sunday, May 23, 2010

Rebekah Amy for my Nan

This quilt went to Sydney last week to my Nan via my Mum. A week before that Mum said she was going down to visit my Nan and my Sister. I had planned to make this quilt for my Nan for Christmas and her birthday but decided to go all in and try and get it done for Mum to take it to her to use THIS winter. It would be oh so lovely to recieve a quilt for a Christmas present but here in Australia that is NOT the time of year to snuggle with a quilt!
Saturday night I did the cutting up.

Sunday and Monday I spent a little time piecing.

Tuesday afternoon I basted.
Wednesday I did some quilting.
Thursday was a no power day (Country Energy doing some linework in the area) therefore no quilting could be done that day; but this actually worked in my favour. The night before no power I machine stitched the binding on so I was able to spend the powerless day handstitching down the binding; something that normally takes me 2-3 nights.
I spent some time Thursday night quilting and finished the last bit of quilting Friday morning.

I ditched the quilt. Originally I had plans to do more quilting than ditching but with our normal jobs, schooling etc etc and my time frame ditching the basics was all I had time for.
oh, and the thread. Because I decided to do this quilt on the spur of themoment and in such a short time frame I had NO matching thread and wasn't able to do mail order or go anywhere to get some. LUCKILY I found some cream similar to the cream in the fabrics and this ended up looking fine on the back, though it was in contrast to the backing fabric.


Here I am Friday morning stitching the label on that I had time to make before heading to meet Mum in town.


The finished quilt.
Started Saturday night and completely finished before lunch on the following Friday; a mind boggling experience for me to start AND finish a QUILT in such a short time! Very empowering too; though I haven't done much since, LOL, must have sewed myself a bit out....

Every quilt needs a label. I like to use leftovers from making the quilt.
This quilt was very appropriate for me to make for my Nan.
Rosalie Quinlan named the pattern 'Rebekah Amy'.
I am Rebecca and my Nan is Amy.
I bought this quilt as a kit from Kerry at Cottage on the Hill, the border isn't part of the original pattern and is about 8 inches wide with mitered corners. This was my first time donig mitered corners and I was pretty happy with how they came out and that doing them wasn't as bad as I thought!
The fabrics are Maywood Studios...'He Loves Me' by Jackie Robinson I think...
Anyway, they are just simply gorgeous - thanks Kerry for such a beautiful kit!
Thanks Kim for the lovely backing fabric!
You know, Mr Busy liked them...that has to say something!
My Nan rang a few nights ago; very excited about her quilt. I was so pleased she liked it!
Then I told her it was second hand. LOL She didn't know what to say! I told her that when I quilt quilts they live on my bed in between quilting time as I have no where else to keep them flat and nice. Mr Busy has gotten used to sleeping with safety pins on his bed! LOL.
Where do your quilts stay while they are being quilted, if you quilt your own???

22 comments:

Grethe said...

BEAUTIFUL :) How special with the "Rebekah Amy". Your Nan must be ever so pleased. I can`t believe that you did all this so fast,very clever done and lovely to reading all about it.
Nice colours and pattern;
Love the daisy border too!

Sarah said...

FAR OUT - you managed to do ALL THAT in less than a week = oh my!

Cubby House Crafts said...

Your Nans quilt is GORGEOUS! That daisy border gives it such a wow factor!
I usually leave my quilts out in the sewing room, either draped over the couch or over sewing machine cabinet thats not in use, depending on the size of the quilt.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

OMG! You GO GIRL!!! See what you can get done under pressure .....

Joy said...

Bec you are amazing!!!! I'm in awe :o)!!! That quilt is simply fabulous, and I LOVE the border, sooo pretty :o)!! No wonder your Nan was so chuffed ..... Yay for you!!!
Hugs,
Joy :o)

Amanda said...

I'm not surprised you haven't done much sewing since, after that marathon effort. What a pretty quilt, and the border fits perfectly with the rest of it. I tend to leave quilts in a pile on the floor whilst I'm working on them; as they're going to get washed once they're finished it doesn't seem to matter too much.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Oh Kiddo now that is awesome...I have this top made I think I need to finish it now after seeing yours...

Anonymous said...

Bec, it looks great. I did wonder if you'd make it the other day, but there it is and it's lovely. :)

Kerry said...

wow, what a mammoth effort,a beautiful quilt and how appropriately named too. What more could you ask for. Well done.

Your Mr Busy must be more understanding than mine. I can't see him sleeping under a quilt with pins in it. Mine stay rolled/folded in a spare spot.

Cheryl (aka Kayly) said...

I love your Nan's quilt. The coincidence with the names is amazing. What a fast job -less than a week - impressive!!!! The mitred border works well with the fabric you picked. Well done!
I keep mine on a table near the sewing machine or rolled up depending on when I can get back to it.

Janice said...

Boy! That was an effort and a half. It was great that your Nan was able to have her quilt before the real cold sets in. No wonder she was excited when she received it. I can understand you needing a bit of a break from sewing after all that.

Terry said...

It's beautiful! I can see why your nan is so pleased with it! :0)

Lynn said...

One week start to finish! Very impressive and now I have no excuses to not do the same. It's a lovely quilt and all the more special that it's for your Nan. When I'm quilting my quilts get folded on the chair I use by my sewing machine, that way I won't be too tempted to start something else midstream.

sewkalico said...

What a great job - it looks fabulous! Quilts waiting to be quilted? Um, if there are any then the normally get plonked on the machine that I am going to quilt them with :-)

Lynda said...

Beautiful quilt Bec and I love the border - it's fantastic. What a huge effort!

Teresa said...

Oh Bec... it's gorgeous!!! Just love the fabrics and the border sets it off beautifully. How cool is the name? It was meant to be and you did a fantastic, super-fast job! I can see why she loves it. I usually keep my quilts to be quilted folded over the single lounge chair (and usually there is a cat lying on top of that!!)

Kris Meares - Tag Along Teddies said...

Hey Bec! What a gorgeous quilt you created for your Nan!! I can just imagine her snuggling under it at night to watch TV ... and proudly showing it to anyone who walks through her door! :0) Well done! I think you have earned a little rest to read magazines and drink coffee after your marathon effort! Tee! Hee! Hee! Bear Hugs! KRIS

Aunty said...

What a beautiful quilt. I know Nan will really love it. How did you get it done in 1 week, that's amazing.

Sweet Cinnamon Stitches said...

What a gorgeous quilt....and only in a week!!
Jane.

Kris said...

Simply gorgeous!!!

Myra said...

Wow! That was a fast bit of work there Bec! The quilt is gorgeous! Your Nan is going to love it I'm sure! 8-)

Vicki said...

Your Nan's quilt is stunning, Bec. She will fall asleep so happily all snuggled up in her GD's love and work. Fantastic effort!