Friday, March 30, 2012

Cushions, Bags and Quilts

 Folk Heart Cushion by Rosalie Quinlan in Vignette #6
A gorgeous cushion stitched in red thread on birch hanky linen.

 My mum recently had a birthday and I had no idea on what to get her. When I saw this in the most recent edition of Vignette by Leanne Beasley I thought it would go nicely with one of her lounges. I really enjoyed stitching this, and I worked on it in waiting rooms at the dentists, x-ray place and the doctors.

 The buttons on the back I had bought from some local markets and were made from trimmings off an apricot tree, just gorgeous.

 One of my sisters recently went back to work after having a baby last year. She asked me to make her a new bag, like her old one but bigger and in purples. The bag I made her before was in black and white, Dolcetto by Melly and Me.

 I increased the size all over but a niggle we both found with this pattern was the opening to the bag was quite restricted for the bag volume. I fiddled with it before handing it over but ended up putting it back how it was originally intended as it changed the design of the bag too much; and to get it where it needed to be (better opening access) would have required a lot of changes and basically remaking the bag.
She loves the colours!

 I put a strip pocket that is divided into sections inside this time, pockets are always handy in bags.

 I came across this quilt pattern last year and asked Sarah from Patchworks Plus to see if she could order in what I needed to make this up. Sarah liked it so much she also has two more kits of this for sale in her shop.

The fabrics/kits arrived in only a few weeks ago. It is Urban Cowgirl by Urban Chiks, just gorgeous fabrics....
The flowers on the quilt top are 3D, looking forward to getting this made up one day.