Thursday, September 4, 2008

Stitcheries

This past week has seen me catching up from being sick for a week. It is amazing how quickly the house can go downhill... and how fast the dirty dishes and washing piles up! I am still catching up on emails, so if you are waiting to hear from me it won't be long!


In between working on the bag swap, stitching angel swap and birthday dolls I have been doing little bits on my angels. I can't say that Ihave completely finished one block though! I do have 1/3 of the blocks partially stitched, the remaining blocks are ready to be vliesofixed on (actually I use another brand now - bond something???), I have all the little squares and block borders cut ready to stitch. I even have the main border and binding cut ready to go! Just need to get on with the stitching of the angels......
I get in a bit of a tizz sometimes and worry about what I have taken on then I recall what Peg wrote to me 'Have fun with the angels, they are fun to do' (I hope I have quoted you correctly???). Then I relax and smile as I look at the angels. When the quilt is finished I am going to have good happy memories of working on it. Thanks Peg!

I have been tagged by QGB and have recieved an award from Sarah. I will post about these tomorrow.

It is spring here in Australia now and on the first day of spring the children and I finished weeding our vege patch and planted it with vege seedlings. It is now full with seedlings and the veges that we are harvesting. Currently eating silverbeet, a few carrots, some brocoli and waiting to try the cauli's!
Well we have had a fast intro to the upcoming summer. Our little jackrussell dogs found a brown snake near the house yard yesterday. By the time I was able to get there the awful thing was gone. Now I am going to be constantly worrying about the children, especially the little ones. The almost 3 yr old is obsessed with collecting eggs and often goes to check without me knowing. The snake was spotted between the house and the chookyards......
I have some snake oil that I will put out int he next few days. It is made up of natural oils and is meant to deter them from hanging around. It won't stop them coming but it's putting out. Last summer we had a black snake hanging around the house for a few weeks and we stopped seeing it after I sprayed some of the oil around the house. Our kitchen has rather large open gaps to under the house - I always appraoch the kitchen with trepidation, worrying that I will sight something I don't want to!
My eldest son is a diehard Steve Irwin fan, and while I do agree with him that snakes can be amazing creatures, I just don't want them too close to us; especially beacuse it takes a few years for little children to understand not to touch or go near some animals.


These are stitcheries I have done in the past few days for the Stitching Angel swap. The first one is from Anni Downs 'An Angel Story' book and will be made into a needlecase.



The second stitchery is May Britt's and was the free pattern Monday night on Hugs'n'Kisses blog (see side bar for Stitching Angel badge). I had to put a smile on the angels face, but have yet to find some flower buttons, might have to stitch these in.....



This is dd's nurse doll that I made her for her 7th birthday on the weekend. I also made her a frilly pink skirt with cupcakes on it. She also recieved two little sewing boxes, one a Mary Englebreight tin for children, both with lots of little sewing bits for her as she loves to use the sewing machine. My mum croqueted a beautiful set for her - handbag hat and scarf - I will post a picture of this tomorrow.



These are partially made cushion covers, of my own design. The striped fabric will be flanged (is that the right word???) and I will be quilting in the ditch around the centre block and the middle border.
I would appreciate any thoughts on these.... is this something you would like in your home? colours? patterns? design? Thanks!



This is another sneak peek at the bag I have made for the bag swap. It is ready to post, and I will post on Saturday when I, or hubby, go to town. It's gorgeous and I wish I were keeping it!

9 comments:

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Wow...your sneak peak looks interesting...like what you are doing with your Angels Bec, great cushion covers like the contrast of the fabrics...

Unknown said...

all your stitching is looking Great I do like your bag what a lucky recipient.
cheers
maree

Unknown said...

My gosh you have been busy Bec, no one would know you'd been sick. EEk snakes, always a possibility when living in Oz. We used to get the red bellied ones. I taught my kids from the time they could talk that if they saw a snake to stand still like a tree. That advice came in handy when one of my daughters was collecting eggs (3years old) and had a snake crawl over her feet while in the chook shed. She took the skin to school the next day for news....lol.....

Quilter Going Bananas said...

I'm so afraid of snakes, yucky! All of your photos of your projects look great; the stitchery for the needlecase looks pretty. As for your Angel stitcheries...no rush and enjoy the process of making them, okay?

Myra said...

I wouldn't want to be surprised by any snakes around my house either! Wow!
Lovely stitcheries, Love the fabrics for you cushion covers, and the bag looks wonderful...even though it it just a sneak peak. I love lots of pockets in a bag/tote. 8-)
Happy stitchings!

Chookyblue...... said...

fill in the snake holes in the kitchen...........lol........don't even want to think about them but yep it is warming up.......

Anonymous said...

pink cushion the dolls sits on is great,

Anonymous said...

Lovely stitching your blog is great I will be visiting it from time to time!!!
Cheers
Gaizie Girl

BizarreQuilter said...

Ooh! Could you please post a picture of the frilly skirt too???