Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Time for Sewing Lessons

I have shown my 7 year old dd how to use the machine. No lessons, only shown her how to go forwards and backwards in straight stitch. She has been creative the past two days and made an outfit for herself and for her younger sister. She is so excited with what she has made!

and for the back,
Is that a fashion statement or what????
Close up detail of the original embellishment...
Who else but a just-turned-six year old would think up this for her toe! How cute is that!
Here is the maestro herself,
She wants to wear this to town....... I don't know, what do you think????
Close up detail of how the straps attatch to the dress.
Her creative headband,
It IS time for lessons, to teach her properly. For that we will loosely follow these books, yes my 8 yr old ds likes to sew too. He is tickled pink about the projects in the boys book! I bought these from America a couple of years ago and they are fabulous. They give clear instructions that are easy to follow and the projects build up in skill level throughout the books. There are other books in the series, a more begining one and two more advanced ones. Bunkhouse Sewing puts them out. I would love to hear about your experiences teaching children to sew or your own experience of learning.

11 comments:

Kaaren said...

I think the outfits epitomize the TRUE definition of "shabby chic". What creativeness! I definitely think you should let the gals wear their new outfits to town.

Good for them! Looks like their destiny is already planned...fashion designers!

Eileen said...

Oh yes.. young fashion designers you have there!
I remember sewing for Barbie first. I'm sure your 7 year old would be able to master a pair of shorts with elastic waistband. :-)

Sarah said...

OH MY GOSH - I am so super impresI understand the worry about going to town LOL. Um maybe to family and they will dish positive comments and then she will make more outfits which she can then go to town in....

Fiona @ Dragonfly-Crafts said...

Hmmmmm interesting outfits to say the least. Good on her for having a go.... I remember making dolls clothes and actually cutting a round button hole instead of just a slit.
Love all the embellishments and the toe-deco was the first thing I noticed. No waste in your family. Watch out when they go to town, you wouldn't want that stitching to let go at an embarressing time?!#*#

Karen said...

Your daughter is very creative. I wouldn't be suprised if she grew up to be a famous clothing designer. Love love love the Toe Bow;)

Maree said...

My DD use to do the same thing but she was a bit older...Lucky they have creative streaks in them...they will take to sewing with enthusiasm..hopefully...Your Aunt's Quilt is just Gorgeous so much work...
cheers

clare said...

Wonderful ! Great effort .
clares craftroom

bettsy said...

I love the bow on the toe - that is something that my 6 year old would do. Keep up the good work - my daughter wants to sew - has even planned her quilt but isn't prepared to do the basic work or spend the time to learn how to do it.( However hse does love drawing so maybe that's the way she will go.

Anita said...

Definitely future fashion designers!!

Julie said...

Fantastic outfits. Lots of talent there.
I used to sew for my doll (I didn't have a little sister). Little skirts on elastic are easy starters.

Sandy said...

How sweet are those outfits. Don't know if you get Project Runway in Australia or not. Up and coming new designers with some pretty funky designs. Your dd would fit right in.. Love the toe decoration! It seems they have a lot of enthusiasm...that's what counts!